In the early days of the Depression, Lakeside also began to suffer financially. When the Club almost failed in 1933, the Jefferson Club stepped in to assist the ailing organization. In 1934, the Lakeside Country Club (which had been founded 20 years earlier by a group of golfers from the Jefferson Club) was formally merged with the Jefferson Club to form the “Jefferson-Lakeside Country Club”. The next year the “new” club hosted the “Tri-City Golf Tournament,” which featured a competition among teams of golfers from the Jewish country clubs in Washington, D.C., Norfolk and Richmond. In 1942, a major fire completely destroyed Jefferson-Lakeside’s clubhouse. After World War II the clubhouse was rebuilt as a brick structure, which was expanded and refurbished in 1965.
In 1976, Hermitage Country Club sold its Hilliard Road (Lakeside area) properties and moved permanently to Goochland County. Many Hermitage members who disfavored the move west joined Jefferson-Lakeside. This helped the club begin to shake its reputation as strictly a “Jewish Club” and, in fact, today its membership may be the most diverse of the Richmond-area clubs. More recently the clubhouse was again expanded and redecorated and the strong membership enjoys tennis, swimming, social activities, and, of course, golf. Unlike its other facilities, however, the Jefferson-Lakeside golf course has not been altered materially in over 75 years.